Many people, including children, have been confronted with material that is disturbing or inappropriate while using the internet or other forms of digital media. Parents can greatly minimize the chances that their children will be victimized by educating children about both the benefits and dangers of "cyberspace".
Social networking refers to online communities of people who are socializing with each other via a particular website. Most of the social networks on the Web are public, allowing anyone to join. Social networking is a popular way to connect socially or professionally with other people. Examples: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blogs
- List of Social Networks
- Information about Facebook
- More Information about MySpace
- Wired Safety Blog Information
Internet Safety Education
The following websites provide general information about internet and digital media safety.
- Parental Controls for Kids on Devices
- Child Safety on the Information Highway
- Teen Safety on the Information Highway
- Internet Safety Education
- National Cyber Security Alliance
- Smartphone Safety - Texting Glossary
Cyber Safety Video and Information from Microsoft
Creating contracts for both parents and children is an important part of internet safety. The following links provide examples of contracts and ideas to help create your own